What is a Stephen Minister?
A Stephen Minister is …
- A child of God who walks beside a hurting person;
- Someone who listens;
- A member of our congregation whohas received 50 hours of training in how to provide distinctively Christian care;
- A person who is ready to focus on your needs;
- A trustworthy confidant who will keep everything you say and even your identity confidential; and
- Someone who will faithfully meet with you on a weekly basis for as long as your need persists.
A Stephen Minister is NOT …
- A counselor or therapist;
- A problem-solver;
- Someone who runs errands or helps with chores; or
- A casual visitor.
Our Stephen Ministers are ready to provide you with the confidential, one-to-one Christian care you need to make it through a crisis or help you through a difficult time.
Stephen Ministers Care
Our Stephen Ministers provide confidential, one-to-one Christian care to people who are:
- Grieving the death of a loved one
- Hospitalized or recovering from hospitalization
- Lonely or discouraged
- Coping with a terminal illness or caring for a family member with a terminal illness
- Unemployed or in a job crisis
- Disabled or caring for an ill or disabled family member
- Moving or relocating
- New to the congregation or the community
- Anticipating the birth or adoption of a child
- Homebound or institutionalized
- Transitioning into retirement
- Dealing with the crisis of aging
- Facing a life transition
- Experiencing a spiritual crisis
- Victims of a disaster or accident
- And for people facing countless other crises or life challenges or who are going through a difficult time and could benefit from the care of a supportive Christian friend.